Sample Public Computer Station Use Policy
West Des Moines Public Library: Public Computer Station Use Policy
The West Des Moines Public Library currently provides a number of networked computers for use by patrons in the library for Internet browsing, word processing and other productivity activities. There are certain policies and guidelines related to their use.
NOTE: The Library also provides Wireless (wi-fi) Internet Access.
The Internet is an unregulated global information resource. The West Des Moines Public Library cannot guarantee the accuracy and/or authenticity of information discovered through this resource. Patrons who find information or subject matter that is erroneous, out-of-date, illegal, offensive, and/or controversial should contact the original producer or distributor of that work directly.
Library users of the Internet should be aware of the following:
- Only parents and legal guardians have the right -- and the responsibility -- to monitor and control their own minor children's access to the Internet and to information obtained from the Internet.
- The West Des Moines Public Library cannot guarantee confidentiality over the Internet. Patrons entering personal information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc.) do so at their own risk.
- The West Des Moines Public Library complies with the United States Copyright Law, and all other federal, state and local laws relating to the use of the Internet and other electronic media.
- The West Des Moines Public Library is not responsible for work or information lost due to computer or system malfunction.
Rules and Guidelines for Public Computer Station Use
- Stations are available on a walk-in basis. Time limit on these stations is ONE HOUR if another person is waiting.
- Patrons wanting to use the computer stations must sign-in using our SAM sign-in system. To sign on to SAM, you will use your library card number and a PIN you create upon your first login. Or you may obtain a visitors pass from staff if you have forgotten or are not eligible for a library card. Patrons may not misuse the sign-in process to gain additional periods of usage.
- No more than 2 people may use a computer station at once, except for adults with small children. Children in second grade and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
- Patrons are expected to be knowledgeable in basic computer operations. Library staff do not offer individualized instruction.
- You may download information to your own USB (flash, thumb) drives (be aware of viruses!). Floppy drives are not installed on our public PC's. We do have USB floppy drives that can be checked out.
- Printing of information is allowed, currently for 10 cents per page. Payments for printing will be handled through the SAM system. You will need to “load” your SAM account prior to printing. This can be done at the SAM machine on the 1st floor. To reduce cost, be sure you only print out what you need. Regulation of the Public Computer Stations is at the discretion of the library staff.
This work is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License