A message on Facebook inspired this special Renovation Edition in our Social Library series. These five libraries are transforming their spaces to respond to community needs and are providing improved access to resources, technology, and programming that help grow 21st century skills. Congratulations on your renovations and for remaining central to your community. Thank you to all these libraries for your great work! If you'd like to see your library featured in a Social Library edition, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook.
- Bill Wilson, library board president at the Milton Public Library-Wisconsin, reached out to us via Facebook to share a wonderful video highlighting their completed $3M renovation project. The library's website includes a wish list for continued community donations to furnish the new and renovated spaces. The Spark is the library's new makerspace, offering equipment, supplies, and local experts to guide participants through the creation of original animation, video, science, technology, art, and more--all free of charge. A GazetteXtra article from earlier in the year outlines details of the renovation project. Thanks for reaching out, Bill!
- Anchorage Public Library in Alaska is in the midst of renovations to the Z. J. Loussac Library. The latest developments were revealed during a reopening event, and include a new lobby with an amazing hanging sculpture and mobile. Wonderful photos were shared in the Alaska Dispatch News this week and another article describes the planning process that included robust community input.
- The Brighton Library, a branch of the Bayside Library Service in Australia is being "remodelled to create flexible study spaces, quiet reading areas, an upgraded meeting room and an accessible program space." Recent photos posted to Facebook share progress of the renovations, to be completed by the end of the year.
- Tiffin-Seneca Public Library in Ohio shared a story from the Advertiser-Tribune summarizing the updates made to the library in their recent renovation, including relocating the computer lab, creating a new meeting room, and a dedicated teen area. A Seneca Success blog post from last year provides additional details.
- Enoch Pratt Free Library in Maryland shared a photo last week from their Central Library renovation showcasing the preservation work being completed on a stunning ceiling mural. The library is creating a Pratt Restoration Video Series to keep the community updated on all the renovation highlights.