From Librarian to Proficient Manager: Uncovering the Transitional Journey
A webinar presenting research on how staff transition from librarian to proficient manager, and the story of their library organization and its peer support network.
This event has passed.
Many librarians find themselves challenged to make the transition into proficient managers, often without clear guidance. For her dissertation on front-line public library managers, Michele Leininger, a PhD candidate at the University of Pittsburgh, chose to investigate how and where new managers find the help they need. Through a series of diaries and interviews at one library system, Michele’s research tells both the individuals' stories about how they learned and transitioned from librarians into managers, as well as the story of the library organization and its peer support network. Discover what the research has revealed and what it means for others interested in the transitional journey to proficient manager.
By the end of the webinar, participants will be able to understand:
- Michele’s approach to gathering the research data and why it's important to public library management research.
- The experiences of the research participants, including the tools, processes, and preferences involved in their learning.
- How the library supported the peer managerial network, both formally and informally.
- The implications of the research for practitioners in the area of public library management.
Presented by: Michele Leininger, PhD candidate and teaching fellow at the University of Pittsburgh
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- Research Interview Questions (doc)
- Research Diary Prompts (doc)
- Titles influential to many of the participants:
- Bridges, William. 2009. Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change (3rd ed.)
- Patterson, Grenny, McMillan, and Switzler. 2013. Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When the Stakes are High (2nd ed.)
- Titles influential in the creation of the research study:
- Hill, Linda A. 2003. Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership.
- McCall Jr., Lombardo, and Morrison. 1988. The Lessons of Experience: How Successful Executives Develop on the Job.
04 November 2014
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
25 April 2017
11 May 2017
23 May 2017
29 June 2017