Spanish Language Outreach Program Workshop Curriculum
Here is a collection of all of the parts of the Spanish Language Outreach Program Workshop Curriculum. All resources can be downloaded and customized by individual trainers. This version of the curriculum draws upon the feedback of trainers and workshop participants who participated in the program in 2004-2006. The curriculum covers the following modules:
- Making the Case
- Who Are Your Spanish-speaking Customers?
- Cultural Differences
- Planning an Outreach Activity
The curriculum resources include:
- A Workshop PowerPoint presentation - Used by trainers in local workshops
- Resource Packet - A collection of many of the workshop resources including:
- Workshop Objectives
- Four Dimensions of Diversity Chart
- Guide for Conducting Community Leader Interviews
- Resources for Working with Computers and Spanish Speakers
- Additional Information about Spanish Media
- Serving Latino Communities Checklist
- Community Leader Interview Guide - Community leader interviews are a very effective technique for learning about the Spanish-Speaking community. The technique is personal and informative and begins the process of building trust that is essential for reaching this community.
- Serving Spanish Speaking Communities Success Checklist - How successfully has your library integrated cultural awareness of the Latino community? Ask a variety of staff, board members, volunteers and customers to rate your library’s level of success using the Success Checklist.
- Action Plan Guide, which leads learners through the 5 steps of planning outreach activities. For libraries planning more than one activity, the 3-part Activity Planning Template is also useful.
- Suggested Outreach Activities Handout - Suggestions for next steps in exploring reaching out, services, marketing, and planning.
- Spanish Language Outreach Follow-On Curriculum - Building and Sustaining Multicultural Partnerships - WebJunction's Spanish Language Outreach Program developed, in partnership with Yolanda Cuesta, this 3-hour curriculum and accompanying resources. It was created in response to feedback received from those states who participated in the program's pilot and includes successful strategies for sustaining relationships with community partners. While the curriculum was designed be used by those involved in the project who wish to conduct follow-up sessions with past workshop participants, all are encouraged to use these resources.
This work is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License