Librarian III Job Description
Town of Hamden
Works under the direct supervision of the immediate superior as determined by the Library Director.
At the direction of the Director, may supervise employees of equal or lesser classification.
General Statement & Examples Of Duties
- Coordinates all aspects of Adult Services, including the Information and Media Divisions.
- Plans, implements and evaluates Adult Services and programs.
- Develops and monitors collection development plan for adult materials, allocates funds to meet collection development goals, and supervises collection development activities of other staff.
- Maintains and promotes special collections and services to adults.
- Develops goals and objectives for the department.
- Maintains awareness of advanced techniques, newest procedures and latest equipment for delivery of information services.
- Produces or arranges for the production of guides to the library's services, programs and collection.
- Evaluates staff.
- Undertakes special projects related to Adult Services.
- Confers with community agencies and organizations serving adults regarding adult programs and services and with subject specialists regarding collection development.
- Assists at the information desk or other public desks as needed.
- Attends professional meetings, maintains membership in professional organizations and participates in their activities.
- May act as library representative to professional organizations and community groups.
- Interprets library policies to the public.
- Includes all duties of Librarian II.
- Performs other duties as required or requested.
Minimum Experience And Training
A Master's Degree in Library Science from a recognized college or university and a minimum of three (3) years' responsible experience in a professional librarian capacity including one (1) year in a supervisory capacity.
Skills, Knowledge, And Abilities
- An occupationally significant combination of understanding of modern library objectives, knowledge of library materials and equipment, initiative, good judgment, accuracy, flexibility
- Interpersonal skills and verbal facility necessary to deal fairly and effectively with associates and the public
- Ability to operate or be trained in operation of office machines and computer terminals.
Note: Inclusion of certain items in this Job Description prepared by the Panel shall not curtail or prejudice either party's rights under the law.
This work is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License