PUBLIB Electronic Discussion List:
PUBLIB: An electronic discussion list for public librarians and those interested in public libraries.
List Instructions (Subscribe, Sign off, Suspend, Etc.)
To subscribe, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter no subject in your email. In the body of the message put only ‘Subscribe PubLib’ (no quotes). You will receive a confirmation email in return to begin your subscription.
To post to the list, once subscribed, send to: email@example.com.
For help with anything PUBLIB related, send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To access your account and update the settings: http://listserv.oclc.org/scripts/wa.exe
You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF PUBLIB" command to email@example.com
The PUBLIB electronic discussion list is for the discussion of issues relating to public librarianship. Particularly appropriate issues for discussion on PUBLIB include, but are not limited to:
- Collection development, acquisitions, management and weeding, including traditional and new media
- Reference services
- Issues related to library facilities--security, new buildings, renovations
- Policy and guidance
- Trustee relationships
- Internet access for staff and public
- Intellectual freedom
- Library administration
- Sundry library "how-tos" and queries for equipment
- Personnel issues
- Public library jobs and related conferences
History and Current Membership
PUBLIB was founded in December, 1992, by Jean Armour Polly and John Iliff (1992-2005). PUBLIB has been managed by volunteers Karen G. Schneider (1997-2011) and Sara Weissman (1997 to date). Housed on the NYSERNET server until March, 1997, then on UC Berkeley SunSITE until May 2005, then by WebJunction until November 2011. PUBLIB is now hosted by OCLC.
For several years, PUBLIB had a subset, PUBLIB-Net, focused on the Internet. The original purpose of PUBLIB-Net has gone, now that the Internet is well-integrated into library services, and support for PUBLIB-Net ended in 2000.
PUBLIB is specifically oriented toward public librarians. Other subscribers include library trustees, friends of libraries, library students and faculty, library journalists, and advocates of librarianship.
PUBLIB is an unmoderated list, but posts must follow list guidelines. Failure to follow guidelines will result in warnings or removal. The following policy governs all postings to PUBLIB:
- All messages must relate, however tangentially, to the general topicof public libraries. Messages that are clearly off-topic will not be posted.
- Advertisements will be labeled, "AD." Only advertisements of interest to the PUBLIB community should be posted.
- Posters are strongly encouraged to post summaries and direct readers to websites or similar external sources in lieu of posting entire resources verbatim to the list. Responses to messages should, whenever possible, include only enough of the previous post to continue the thread of the discussion.
- Because PUBLIB is a heavy-traffic list, the moderators strongly encourage you to suspend mail if you go on vacation and resume it on your return. The archive for PUBLIB makes it very easy to view earlier messages, so you will not lose information by signing off.
- Addresses that bounce nuisance messages to the entire list (vacation reminders, for example) will be set to no-mail or if necessary deleted.
- No four-letter words or ad hominem attacks. You may criticize a policy or a point of view, but you must substantiate your comments. In other words, you may not say, "you stink," but you may say, "your library policy stinks because..."
- The moderators are not responsible for copyright violations. It is the responsibility of the poster to ensure that his or her post does not violate copyright law.
- Threads that have run their course but refuse to die may be terminated by the moderators.
- Virus warnings: ONLY official CERT advisories are acceptable.
PUBLIB mascots, Mottos, and social activities
One proposed PUBLIB mascot is the gadfly. Another proposed mascot is the garlic clove. PUBLIB does not have a proposed motto. PUBLIBers often gather informally off the list, either online through personal email messages, through personal visits while traveling, or at library conferences such as those held by PLA and ALA.
The PUBLIB list is hosted by OCLC. Only subscribers may post messages. Questions about PUBLIB may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
This work is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License