Taming Tech Tools for Libraries
Join this webinar to explore a toolbox of 25+ free tech tools that you can use to help your library better serve patron needs and to work smarter.
This event has passed.
With so many new tech tools popping up everywhere, we are all working on a wild frontier of possibilities. But how do you know which tools are worth “taming” to help you provide better library services? In this webinar, tech-tamer Kieran Hixon will unpack a toolbox of 25+ free tech tools that can help your library better engage with patrons and build digital literacy skills. From completing daily tasks to growing advocacy efforts, these web based tools can help you work smarter.
This webinar is hosted in collaboration with the Association for Rural and Small Libraries.
Presented by: Kieran Hixon, Technology and Digital Initiatives Consultant, Colorado State Library, and Board Member and Web Master, Association for Rural and Small Libraries.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Read webinar recap
- Kieran's Tech Tools Ready Reference: see via this link for full description of each tool, and suggestions for use also available as attached .doc
- Kieran created a screencast to show people around Big Huge Labs, specifically how to make a trading card http://youtu.be/pFlUdONsrf0?hd=1
- And a link for flash card making - http://www.kitzkikz.com/flashcards/
- Shared in Chat:
- Librarian Trading Cards on Flickr
- Remind.com - text patrons about programs and events
- Fotor - free photo editing
- http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ and https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ - QR code generators
- http://www.qrcode-monkey.com/#custom-image allows you to include your library logo in the QR code
- http://scratch.mit.edu/ - MIT's Scratch is awesome for getting budding web designers into coding
- http://www.groupsite.com/ - used by one library to coordinate interlibrary loans
- http://www.irfanview.com/ - graphics editor
- http://www.getpaint.net/ - photo editing
- Print My Cal - to collect and print Google calendars
- http://www.real.com/ - video hosting and sharing
- http://keepvid.com/ - for converting YouTube videos
- http://www.moxtra.com/- project collaboration app
- OneDrive - managing and sharing documents
- LibreOffice - office suite
- http://www.getyarny.com/ - for writing ebooks
- http://calibre-ebook.com/ - ebook management
- http://www.lulu.com/create - create and publish
- IFTTT Recipes
18 September 2014
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
21 February 2018
14 March 2018
29 March 2018