Libraries as Drivers of Community Development: Global Edition
Join this webinar to learn about and bring home successful, practical grassroots approaches to library-driven community development from libraries around the world.
This event has passed.
Around the world, libraries are at the heart of community transformation. Instead of aiming to be responsive to emerging needs, libraries can actively push their communities to develop and thrive. Hear stories from around the globe about libraries that are a force to be reckoned with. Join us for this webinar that shares examples of libraries at the leading edge of positive change in communities in Honduras, Guatemala, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Asia. Learn about and bring home successful, practical grassroots approaches to library-driven community development. The organizations and libraries featured are grantees of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or are beneficiaries of a foundation-supported program. Darren Hoerner, Program Officer at the Gates Foundation, will introduce the session. Guided by the belief that all lives have equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people live healthy, productive lives.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Riecken Community Libraries
- Public Libraries – an underused resource for development by Jean Fairbairn. August 12, 2013, SciDevNet.
- IFLA statement on Libraries and Development approved by IFLA governing board on August 16, 2013.
- Examples of ways that libraries contribute to development goals published by Beyond Access.
- Infographic about how libraries contribute to social and economic development, published by Beyond Access.
- Collection of resources on Impact Planning Assessment
- Deborah Jacobs' blog post - Global Libraries: Impact Around the World
16 July 2014
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
08 August 2019
14 August 2019
27 August 2019
12 September 2019