Best Small Library in America 2015: Belgrade Community Library
A webinar with the Belgrade Community Library, winner of Library Journal's 2015 Best Small Library in America Award.
This event has passed.
With just six staff members serving a community of 12,700 outside of Bozeman, MT, the Belgrade Community Library won this year’s Library Journal Best Small Library in America Award. This award, cosponsored by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, was created in 2005 to encourage and showcase the exemplary work of libraries serving populations under 25,000. What is Belgrade’s secret award-winning sauce? With a robust volunteer base, they have reimagined library services and aggressively developed new outreach efforts to meet the community’s changing needs. The result is intense engagement and support from the community and an impact beyond Belgrade’s borders through leadership to small libraries throughout the state. Learn how to replicate and adapt Belgrade’s ambitious outreach efforts on a small-library budget.
This webinar is hosted in collaboration with the Association for Rural and Small Libraries and Library Journal.
Presented by: Gale Bacon, Director, Rebekah Kamp, Children and Youth Services Librarian and Keiley McGregor, Public Services Librarian, all at the Belgrade Community Library; and Lisa Peet, Associate News Editor, Library Journal.
- View Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Association for Rural and Small Libraries
- Belgrade Community Library
- Ten Years of Best Small Libraries: Great at Every Size | Editorial
- Small Libraries, Big Impact | Award Retrospective, 2005-2015 also available as PDF
- Seize the Moment: Lessons from Belgrade on expanding influence | Editorial
- Previous year's award winners:
2005: Haines Borough Public Library, Alaska
2006: Milanof-Schock Library, Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
2007: Grand County Public Library, Utah
2008: Chelsea District Library, Michigan, and WebJunction webinar handouts from Chelsea
2009: Union County Carnegie Library, South Carolina
2010: Glen Carbon Centennial Library, Illinois, and WebJunction webinar with Anne M. Hughes
2011: Naturita Community Library, Colorado, and WebJunction webinar with Naturita
2012: Independence Public Library, Kansas, and WebJunction webinar with Independence
2013: Southern Area Public Library, West Virginia, and WebJunction webinar with SAPL
2014: Pine River Library, Colorado, and WebJunction webinar with Pine River
2015: Belgrade Community Library, Montana, and WebJunction webinar with Belgrade
- Other links shared in session:
- Dynamite Dads
- Health Happens in Libraries, for more on libraries and resources to connect to health opportunities
- Belgrade Trustee Manual Table of Contents
18 August 2015
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
18 May 2021
03 June 2021
09 June 2021
08 July 2021
05 August 2021