It Takes a Community to Bridge the Digital Divide
Archive and related resources for a webinar presented on March 6, 2012 by Mary Chute, Ron Carlee, and David Keyes on building digital communities.
This event has passed.
In FCC Chairman Genachowski's announcement of the sweeping Connect2Compete initiative to increase broadband connectivity and Internet access across the nation, he listed an impressive array of partners who are joining in the effort. Although he singled out libraries as "vital centers for digital literacy," any effective actions must involve the whole community of players. Join us to hear about the key role that the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) is playing in the broadband adoption challenge and the actions already underway for building digital communities. And also hear insights on the collaborative roles and efforts of city/county governments and public and private organizations. Learn how to get started with inclusion efforts from organizations who have taken the steps to implement practical programs which meet local needs and share your ideas about collaborative efforts which lead digital inclusion.
Presented by: Mary Chute, deputy director for libraries, Institute of Museum and Library Services; Ron Carlee, chief operating officer, International City/County Management Association; and David Keyes, community technology program manager, City of Seattle.
- View full Archive (combined archive of audio, slides, and chat)
- IMLS Dititally Inclusive Communities issue page
- Report Release - Building Digital Communities
- IMLS Strategic Plan
- Digital Divide Infographic
- The Digital Nation report from NTIA
- OECD Broadband portal
- International City/County Management Association (ICMA) and icma.org/libraries
- Seattle.gov/tech and Techmap
- Puget Sound Off
- Technology Indicators for a Healthy Community
- Tech matching fund
- Communitiesconnect.org and state definition of digital inclusion
- Telecentre.org International center for resources on digital literacy and community technology centers
- Federal Broadband plan http://www.broadband.gov/plan/
- Connect Your Community Community Broadband Adoption Impact & Sustainability (CBAIS) Conference wiki
- Benton Foundation tracking broadband policy and plan implementation http://benton.org/initiatives
- Knight Community Information Toolkit
- Eagle Consulting’s Existing "People-Ready" Broadband Entrepreneurship and Digital Literacy Curriculum
- April Rural Telecon Congress and Broadband Communities Summit 12
- Journal for Community Informatics
06 March 2012
06 March 2012