An Introduction to Digital Preservation
Archive and associated resources for December 15, 2010, webinar with Lisa A. Gregory, Jennifer Ricker and Amy Rudersdorf presenting on digital preservation.
This event has passed.
Digital preservation is a phrase that is thrown about frequently in the archives and library world. And responsibility for saving our era from being known as the "Digital Dark Age" has fallen to us. But do you really understand what it means and is required to preserve digital objects? Join us for this 2-hour webinar for an introduction to terms, concepts, and some methods for beginning your institutions foray into this important and challenging area, with expert presenters from the State Library of North Carolina's Digital Information Management Program.
Presented by: Lisa A. Gregory, Digital Projects Liaison; Jennifer Ricker, Digital Collections Manager; and Amy Rudersdorf, Director.
- View Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (ppt)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- State Library of North Carolina Digital Repository
- Digital Preservation Education for NC State Government Employees
- Library of Congress Digital Preservation
- JISC Digital Preservation & Curation
- D-Lib Magazine
- Council on Library and Information Resources - Reports
- UKOLN - What are open standards?
- Open formats and open source for better government
- NARA Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Archival Materials for Electronic Access
- Using Consistent File Naming Conventions for Digital Preservation Projects
- The DCC Curation Lifecycle.
- Digital preservation: Continued access to authentic digital assets.
- Implementing Metadata that Guides Digital Preservation Services www.planets-project.eu/docs/papers/Dappert_MetadataAndPreservationServices_iPres2009.pdf
- PRONOM one online file format registry
- Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States via Cornell: http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm
- HashMyFiles: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html
- Pinpoint Hash: http://freewareapp.com/hash_download/
- Checksum http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/
- To digitize audio cassettes or reel to reel tapes
- Center for Popular Music digitizes audio on a regular basis. Ask for Martin Fisher. http://popmusic.mtsu.edu
- LC report "The State of Recorded Sound Preservation in the United States": http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub148/pub148.pdf
- Convert TIFFs to JPGs and image editing
- Openoffice.org CALC http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html
- omeka.org/ "Create complex narratives and share rich collections, adhering to Dublin core standards with Omeka on your server, designed for scholars, museums, libraries, archives, and enthusiasts."
- Digital preservation listservs: http://bit.ly/hjH0ii
- Digital video preservation:
15 December 2010
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]