Competencies for Technology Policies
Fairness, efficiency, security, and more depend on the clear definition and application of policies for technology use.
(For general library policy competencies, see the Library Management > Laws, Policies & Procedures section of the Competency Index.
Creates, evaluates and implements policies and procedures for library technology
- Establishes network usage policies that balance convenience and usability with security concerns and wise stewardship of resources
- Articulates and applies library policies on privacy, intellectual freedom, and filtering as they relate to technology access and use
- Seeks staff and stakeholder feedback during policies and procedures development
- Explains the rationale underlying library technology policies and procedures and communicates effectively in non-technical language
- Continuously evaluates the needs for new or revised policies and procedures relative to changing technologies
- Develops, reviews, and maintains technology procedure manuals
- Creates and regularly evaluates disaster preparedness and recovery plans for library technology
This work is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License