As we enter 2014, individuals continue to learn about new health insurance options available to them as part of the Affordable Care Act. Read on for resources to support libraries as they develop their own priorities for responding to patron inquiries in this area. Please feel free to share these resources with colleagues or community partners who may be interested!
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has added several new publications and articles at their site. These and other official resources are intended for use by professionals helping people understand the new health insurance marketplace.
- The Kaiser Family Foundation continues to develop robust resources related to health care reform. Their comprehensive list of frequently asked questions may be useful to library staff and patrons alike, and includes a search feature.
- Tribalhealthcare.org provides consumer education materials and training tools for community representatives, to support American Indians and Alaska Natives in understanding their rights and opportunities associated with health care reform.
- The Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders will host a Google+ Hangout, for individuals to learn about the health insurance marketplace in Chinese (Mandarin), on Thursday, January 23, 2014, from 3 – 4 PM EST. Details on this opportunity are available here.
- Registration is still open for WebJunction’s free webinar on Health Information Resources For Library Staff, which will be held on January 22 at 11 AM PT/2 PM ET. This session will also be archived and posted via this distribution list, and will be an exciting opportunity to learn more from experts on this complex topic.
- The Health Happens in Libraries team continues to highlight examples of library health information services and resources at our project site, and are eager to share our latest library profile of Miami Public Library in Oklahoma. Read on to learn more about how this local library is leading health literacy in their community, and feel free to contact us at any time to share your story.