Create & Deliver Training
Instructional Design Principles
This infographic depicts the phases of the ADDIE design approach into easily digestible segments: analyze, design, develop, implement, evaluate.
This series of posts from the E-Learning Heroes covers an overview of e-learning assessments, timing of knowledge checks, and tips for creating meaningful feedback.
Cathy Moore: Let's save the world from boring training
E-learning iconoclast Cathy Moore regularly challenges traditional assumptions about instructional design and poses her own fresh ideas about maximizing online learning.
- E-learning examples (series of blog posts)
- Training Designer's Guide to Saving the World- Six clear and simple guidelines for creating training that works
Principles of Adult Learning
An infographic summary of some universal principles that apply to the way adults learn.
12 Principles of Multimedia Learning
Principles for engaging learners without a face-to-face classroom
Rapid E-Learning Blog
As author Tom Kuhlman says, "I am passionate about learning and technology.” Tom is also very creative, with a great sense of humor in the way he shares practical, real-world ideas for designing e-learning.
Scenarios in E-Learning
- Build Branched E-Learning Scenarios in Three Simple Steps
Tom Kuhlman gives a straightforward way to think about building scenarios, plus directions and tutorials on how to do it step-by-step in PowerPoint.
- 8 Effective Scenario Ideas for Instructional Designers
Build your own scenarios from these templates and examples.
- 12 Cool Ways to Use Scenarios
Cathy Moore offers some creative ways to incorporate scenarios into a variety of learning settings. Think about how you would adopt the face-to-face ideas for the online environment.
- Providing Constructive Employee Feedback
An excellent example of a scenario with multiple branching choices for developing nuanced "soft skills" of management.
- Scenario tool: BranchTrack
Cathy Moore uses this branching scenario design tool. The basic “freemium” option allows you to experiment with tool; it’s a big leap in price to “professional” level ($2900/year).
Working with Subject Matter Experts
- How to Overcome the Challenge of Working with Subject Matter Experts
Tom Kuhlman addresses 5 key challenges of working with subject matter experts and 5 key ways to work through those challenges.
- Nine tips for working with Subject Matter Experts
More good advice about how to work effectively with SMEs in order to get the most out of their expertise.
Examples of Re-purposed Content
- Extreme Customer Service, Every Time
This is a fine example of a "coursinar," or a course built on the content of a one-hour webinar; the result is a 2-hour course to provide learners with practical and actionable ideas that can help them commit to excellent customer service.
- Having fun at work again
The designer of this course started from a one-hour speech she had scripted and delivered at a conference; she then created PowerPoint slides to go with the script and recorded it all in PPT.
- How to Convert Your PowerPoint Presentation into an Elearning Course
Tom Kuhlman offers some options for building on the base of a high-quality PowerPoint presentation.
E-Learning in Ten Minutes or Less
Examples of how much learning can be packed into a short tutorial.
- Common Craft videos use a simple, low-tech format
- Sample: Computer Software
- Open University offers video adventures in learning--some as short as 60 seconds--on topics of science, design, culture, history and more.
- Khan Academy is now world-famous with a few hundred short video "courses” on math, science, economics and more. It started with founder Salman Khan tutoring his cousin in math via online.