Budgets & Funding
Library Grants Blog
For librarians interested in grant opportunities!
The Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library
The newly-updated Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library provides tips and tools you can use from the ALA Committee on Rural, Native and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds, the Association for Rural & Small Libraries and the ALA Office for Literacy and Outreach Services.
The Foundation Center
The definitive site for information on grant writing, funding sources, grant makers, and researching philanthropy -- plus related news and resources.
Any library can participate in this Web-based fundraising, wristband-selling, and awareness-building campaign sponsored by the Alliance Library System of Illinois.
FundingFactory has helped thousands of educational and non-profit organizations nationwide reach their fundraising goals in an effective and innovative way -- recycling.
Public libraries who have 501c3 status may be eligible for discounted and donated software and more from vendors like Symantec, Microsoft, Macromedia, and Intuit for a small handling fee through TechSoup's product distribution program.
Technology Grant News
Published four times a year, TGN keeps you appraised of new technology funding from both the public and private sectors. It covers grant announcements by the government, technology funders, trade associations, and foundations.
Beaumont Foundation of America
The Foundation's grants provide the technology necessary to make successful use of technology a reality for all. It funds underserved schools, organizations, and individuals committed to the principle of digital equity. [Grants only to preselected organizations; unsolicited grant proposals are not accepted.]
Library Use Value Calculator
A calculator worksheet provided by the Maine State Library which can be used to determine your library's worth to your community.
Free Management Library
This virtual "library" is a "free community resource to be shared and contributed to by users and readers across the world," and aims to "to provide leaders and managers (especially those with very limited resources) basic and practical information about personal, professional and organizational development." Of special interest on this site are sections on capacity building and fundraising for nonprofits.
The Princeton Public Library's Book Sale Page
Here's an example of a clear, informative Web page outlining this New Jersey library's ongoing FOL book sale.
The below Library Funding Resources collected by Stephanie Gerding
Government Grant Sources
- Grants.gov http://grants.gov The access point for over 1,000 grant programs totaling $400 billion in awards offered by the 26 Federal grant-making agencies.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services http://www.imls.gov
- US Department of Education http://www.ed.gov/fund/grant/apply/grantapps
- National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov/grants.html
- National Endowment for the Arts http://www.nea.gov/
- National Endowment for the Humanities http://www.neh.gov/grants/index.html
- Your State Humanities Council http://www.neh.gov/whoweare/statecouncils.html
- LINCS supports the National Institute for Literacy http://lincs.ed.gov/cgi-bin/lincs/search/gsearch/dbsearch.cgi?action=Show%20Results
- Your State Arts Council http://www.nasaa-arts.org/About/State-Arts-Agency-Directory.php
- Your State Department of Education http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/Programs/EROD/org_list.cfm?category_ID=SEA
- Your State Library http://www.publiclibraries.com/state_library.htm
Private Grant Sources
The Foundation Center http://fdncenter.org The largest and most comprehensive resource for researching foundations. Includes many tools for finding out about foundations, trends in grant making, and top foundations in your geographic region.
- Websites of Private Foundations http://lnp.foundationcenter.org/finder.html
- Foundation Center Cooperating Collections located throughout the US, mostly in libraries. Lots of books & databases! http://fdncenter.org/collections
- National Print Directories for researching foundations that fund library projects:
- Grants for Information Technology The Foundation Center
- Grants for Libraries and Information Services Foundation Center
- National Guide to Funding for Libraries and Information Services The Foundation Center
Community Foundations have resource materials, local directories, and more information about funding opportunities in your area.
- Council of Foundation’s Community Foundation Locator http://www.cof.org/Locator/index.cfm?menuContainerID=34&crumb=2
National Directory of Corporate Giving is a print directory for finding funding from corporations from the Foundation Center.
Professional Associations give grants and awards to projects and personnel.
- ALA Awards and Scholarships http://www.ala.org/template.cfm?template=/CFApps/awards_info/browse.cfm&FilePublishTitle=Awards,%20Grants%20and%20Scholarships&rtype=ALL
- American Association of School Librarians http://www.ala.org/aasl/resources/funding.html
- SLA Scholarships and Grants http://www.sla.org/content/learn/scholarship/index.cfm
The Grantsmanship Center maintains information about your state's foundations, community foundations, corporate giving programs and the top 40 foundations that give in your state. http://www.tgci.com/funding/states.asp
Clubs and Organizations
Research your local community directory (http://fdncenter.org/getstarted/topical/sl_dir.html) and look at Michigan State University’s list of service clubs and civic organizations that provide fundingfor ideas (http://staff.lib.msu.edu/harris23/grants/servicec.htm). Your yellow pages, friends, and staff may also help identify local clubs and organizations that provide funding.
Print Sources for Government and Private Grants
- Winning Grants: A How-To-Do-It Manual for Librarians with Multimedia Tutorials and Grant Development Tools . Neal-Schuman. http://winninglibrarygrants.com Stephanie Gerding, Stephanie & Pamela MacKellar, 2010.
- Big Book of Library Grant Money: Profiles of Private and Corporate Foundations and Direct Corporate Givers Receptive to Library Grant Proposals, ALA
- Annual Register of Grant Support Information Today. A print directory that lists grants from both government and private sources.
- National Guide to Funding in Arts and Culture Foundation Center
- Grants for Children & Youth Foundation Center
- Grants for Women & Girls Foundation Center
- National Directory of Foundation Grants for Native Americans Corporate Resource Consultants
- Directory of Building and Equipment Grants Research Grant Guides
Newsletters, Bulletins, and Alert Services
- Library Grants Blog Librarians Gerding and MacKellar maintain this free website of library grant opportunities. http://librarygrants.blogspot.com
- Primary Source The Institute of Museum and Library Services’ monthly e-mail newsletter. http://www.imls.gov/utility/subscribe.htm
- The National Endowment for the Humanities News and Publications www.neh.gov/news/index.html
- RFP Bulletin from the Foundation Center http://fdncenter.org/pnd/rfp/
- Grants.gov Grant Opportunity Emails http://www.grants.gov/Find#receive
- Charity Channel Forum Online Discussion Groups http://charitychannel.com
- Association of Fundraising Professionals http://www.afpnet.org
- The Grantsmanship Center http://www.tgci.com/index.shtml
- Chronicle of Philanthropy http://www.philanthropy.com
- The Foundation Center online tutorials http://www.grantspace.org/Classroom