Budgets & Funding
Library Grants Blog
For librarians interested in grant opportunities!
The Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library
The newly-updated Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library provides tips and tools you can use from the ALA Committee on Rural, Native and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds, the Association for Rural & Small Libraries and the ALA Office for Literacy and Outreach Services.
The Foundation Center
The definitive site for information on grant writing, funding sources, grant makers, and researching philanthropy -- plus related news and resources. See Visualizing Funding for Libraries and related webinar.
Libraries Matter: Impact Research
Libraries Matter is a listing of studies that are useful in making the case about the value of libraries to community members and other stakeholders. The annotated list includes studies that show the economic, educational and social value of libraries. The links include bibliographic information to assist in locating the full reports. Contact the ALA Office for Research & Statistics for more information.
FundingFactory has helped thousands of educational and non-profit organizations nationwide reach their fundraising goals in an effective and innovative way -- recycling.
Public libraries who have 501c3 status may be eligible for discounted and donated software and more from vendors like Symantec, Microsoft, Macromedia, and Intuit for a small handling fee through TechSoup's product distribution program.
Beaumont Foundation of America
The Foundation's grants provide the technology necessary to make successful use of technology a reality for all. It funds underserved schools, organizations, and individuals committed to the principle of digital equity. [Grants only to preselected organizations; unsolicited grant proposals are not accepted.]
Library Use Value Calculator
A calculator worksheet provided by the Maine State Library which can be used to determine your library's worth to your community.
Free Management Library
This virtual "library" is a "free community resource to be shared and contributed to by users and readers across the world," and aims to "to provide leaders and managers (especially those with very limited resources) basic and practical information about personal, professional and organizational development." Of special interest on this site are sections on capacity building and fundraising for nonprofits.
The Princeton Public Library's Book Sale Page
Here's an example of a clear, informative Web page outlining this New Jersey library's ongoing FOL book sale.
The below Library Funding Resources collected by Stephanie Gerding
Government Grant Sources
- Grants.gov http://grants.gov The access point for over 1,000 grant programs totaling $400 billion in awards offered by the 26 Federal grant-making agencies.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services http://www.imls.gov
- US Department of Education http://www.ed.gov/fund/grant/apply/grantapps
- National Library of Medicine https://www.nlm.nih.gov/grants.html
- National Endowment for the Arts http://www.nea.gov/
- National Endowment for the Humanities http://www.neh.gov/grants/index.html
- Your State Humanities Council http://www.neh.gov/whoweare/statecouncils.html
- Your State Arts Council http://www.nasaa-arts.org/About/State-Arts-Agency-Directory.php
- Your State Department of Education http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/Programs/EROD/org_list.cfm?category_ID=SEA
- Your State Library http://www.publiclibraries.com/state_library.htm
Private Grant Sources
The Foundation Center http://foundationcenter.org/ The largest and most comprehensive resource for researching foundations. Includes many tools for finding out about foundations, trends in grant making, and top foundations in your geographic region.
Community Foundations have resource materials, local directories, and more information about funding opportunities in your area.
- Council of Foundation’s Community Foundation Locator http://www.cof.org/Locator/index.cfm?menuContainerID=34&crumb=2
Professional Associations give grants and awards to projects and personnel
- ALA Awards and Grants http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/
- American Association of School Librarians http://www.ala.org/aasl/awards
- State Library Associations http://www.ala.org/groups/affiliates/chapters/state/stateregional
The Grantsmanship Center maintains information about your state's foundations, community foundations, corporate giving programs and the top 40 foundations that give in your state. http://www.tgci.com/funding/states.asp
Clubs and Organizations
Michigan State University’s list of service clubs and civic organizations that provide funding for ideas (http://staff.lib.msu.edu/harris23/grants/servicec.htm). Your yellow pages, friends, and staff may also help identify local clubs and organizations that provide funding.
Newsletters, Bulletins, and Alert Services
- Library Grants Blog Librarians Gerding and MacKellar maintain this free website of library grant opportunities. http://librarygrants.blogspot.com
- Primary Source The Institute of Museum and Library Services’ monthly e-mail newsletter. https://www.imls.gov/news-events/e-mail-subscriptions/primary-source
- The National Endowment for the Humanities News and Publications www.neh.gov/news/index.html
- RFP Bulletin from the Foundation Center http://philanthropynewsdigest.org/rfps
- Charity Channel http://charitychannel.com
- Association of Fundraising Professionals http://www.afpnet.org
- The Grantsmanship Center http://www.tgci.com/index.shtml
- Chronicle of Philanthropy http://www.philanthropy.com
Online Tutorials about Grants and Fundraising
- The Foundation Center online tutorials http://grantspace.org/training