The Iron is HOT: Libraries as Innovative & Creative Community Catalysts
This webinar helps to define the successful library as one that serves as a vibrant and active community center. Learn how to take a leadership role as a creative catalyst – exploring new ways to build partnerships, strengthen community and contribute to local development.
This event has passed.
Renew your sense of hope for the longtime viability of public libraries. Presenter Mary Lou Carolan sees amazing and out-of-the-ordinary opportunities for your library to serve as a vibrant and active community center. The library can be the creative catalyst to ignite community enthusiasm. Learn about the ‘Inside/Outside Approach’ and other engaging and fun marketing practices. Find out how to implement ‘placemaking’ for lighter, quicker, cheaper ways to attract more users. And catch the sense of urgency that libraries need to act now: Hope, Opportunity, Time – strike while the iron is HOT!
This webinar is hosted in collaboration with Geek the Library, a community awareness campaign.
Presented by: Mary Lou Carolan, director, Wallkill Public Library, New York
Archive viewing options:
- View full Archive (You will be prompted to log in.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- Read webinar recap
- Guide: Innovative Marketing Initiatives Service Assessment
- On WebJunction
- Get Geek the Library and upcoming webinars
- Geek the Library Case Study: Wallkill Public Library
- Blueprint for your library marketing plan a guide to help you survive and thrive
- Mary Lou Carolan on Gates foundation blog, Getting Sports Fans to "Geek the Library"
- Project for Public Spaces
- Libraries that Matter by Cynthia Nikitin and Josh Jackson
- Citizen Placemaker: Mary Lou Carolan Brings the Library Out Onto the Lawn
- Mary Lou is a contributor to these books:
- Simon Sinek, Start with Why: How great leaders inspire action
- Shared in Chat:
11 February 2014
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
11 August 2016
24 August 2016
20 September 2016