Energize your base: Tips and tools to raise awareness and build support for library services
A webinar exploring ways to increase your community's awareness of library services and of how those services are changing lives.
This event has passed.
We know that libraries are a good investment but with tight budgets, we need to energize our base – to take action to connect more strongly with community members, to find out what excites them, and to let them know how libraries are changing lives – one connection at a time. Our panel will explore three vehicles that can help you increase awareness of library services:
Library Videos – New videos from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that showcase work done in libraries which are transforming lives, by changing the way we connect.
Geek the Library – A community awareness campaign offered free to libraries to help strengthen community connections and library support.
Data Visualization – We collect lots of data. Learn how the Colorado State Library is helping local libraries use their data to tell a story about impact.
Presented by: Karen Perry, Senior Program Officer, Global Libraries, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; Jennifer Pearson, Programs Manager, OCLC Community Relations; Jamie Hollier, Project Manager with PLA and Library Consultant; Linda Hofschire, Research Analyst, Library Research Service, Colorado State Library; Sharon Morris, Director of Library Development, Colorado State Library; and Hallie Rich, Marketing & Communications Director, Cuyahoga County Public Library.
Archive viewing options:
- Participant Guide for this webinar
- Watch the Videos Now
Libraries: changing lives, transforming communities
One in three people in the U.S. do not have home access to the internet. See how libraries are changing the way we connect.
Libraries: More than Books
Most librarians can help you find books. But in Colorado, they are helping patrons build skills and explore new careers.
Libraries: Opening Doors and Creating Possibilities
See how computers and Internet access are putting job-seekers in South Carolina into the workforce.
Libraries: Linking Seniors in a Digital World
See how computer training and access to technology are empowering seniors in Houston.
Libraries: Partners in Health
See how patrons – and patients – in DC use libraries to make informed medical decisions and improve their lives.
Libraries: Access to Opportunities
For millions, libraries are the only source to broadband internet. See how the Cuyahoga County Public Library is changing lives for the better.
Libraries: An Intellectual Paradise
See how the Benjamin Frankly Library is giving Boyle Heights citizens the chance to explore and soar.
Libraries: A new home for the American dream
See how new immigrants in Los Angeles are using the Chinatown Library to build community, learn and improve their lives.
Libraries: Expanding Boundaries and Shrinking Borders
See how libraries bringing the world to rural Alaska.
- Library Research Service: Research and Statistics about Libraries
- Jamie and Linda's Infographics presentation resources
- Colorado BTOP Project http://coloradovirtuallibrary.org/btop/
- BTOP Outcome Survey Administration Video
- Jamie Hollier is a consultant at commercekitchen.com
- Publilc Libraries and the Internet Study
- Pew Internet > Libraries
- IMPACT Survey tool
- Turning the Page Online, PLA
- From Awareness to Funding, OCLC Report
- Geek the Library participating libraries: http://geekthelibrary.org/about/libraries.html
- Geek the Library Case Studies
- Getting Sports Fans to Geek the Library on Impatient Optimists
- Geek the Library Flickr Group
- Ephrata Public Library - Geek the Library
- Solano County Library’s launch video
- InfoPeople Webinar Archive: Communicating Through Infographics
14 November 2012
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]