Crafting a Successful Adult Education Program for Small, Rural and/or Part-time Libraries
This webinar, presented in collaboration with the Association for Rural & Small Libraries, showcases successful adult education opportunities for patrons who lack a GED, or other high school equivalency.
This event has passed.
No matter how small a community you serve, your library can provide vital, successful adult education opportunities for patrons who lack a GED, or other high school equivalency. When the Shreve Memorial Library (LA) decided that its small, rural part-time branches should be equipped to serve patrons with the same level of instruction and resources offered in the full-time branches, the first ever Rural Adult Education Program was born. Join us to hear how the library's Adult Education Coordinator devised workable, affordable and manageable strategies to launch the program in small libraries; learn about solutions and alternatives that can be adapted to any budget, workforce, workspace and public need.
This session was presented as a preconference at Association for Rural and Small Libraries 2014 and has been adapted to fit within a 90 minute webinar.
Presented by: Debra Kavanaugh, Adult Educator, Researcher, Curriculum Developer, and most recently, Adult Education Coordinator, Shreve Memorial Library, Louisiana.
Tweet: #wjwebinar and @RuralLibAssoc
Archive viewing options:
- New! Skill Builder Plan Manual Template and Support Documents for GED and HiSET Student Exam Preparation Revised 2015
- Association for Rural and Small Libraries
- See also WebJunction resources for Workforce Services and Health Happens in Libraries - beyond Adult Ed!
- Shreve Memorial Library Adult Literacy Program
- News for You
- English Language Arts Standards (Common Core) http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/
- Mathematics Standards (Common Core) http://www.corestandards.org/Math/
- 2014 GED Test Curriculum Blueprint http://www.passged.com/media/pdf/educators/curriculum-blueprint.pdf
- Summary of the Skills and Content Needed to Prepare for the 2014 GED Test
- Khan Academy https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Grammar Monster http://www.grammar-monster.com/
- Grammar http://www.learnenglish.de/grammarpage.html
- English Page http://www.englishpage.com/
- Learning Express http://www.learningexpresshub.com/corporate/markets/libraries
- Grant Possibilities
- U.S. Department of Education http://www2.ed.gov/programs/adultedbasic/index.html
- Community Foundation Locator http://www.cof.org/community-foundation-locator
- ProLiteracy Member Central http://www.proliteracy.org/members/grants-and-funding
- Dollar General Literacy Foundation http://www2.dollargeneral.com/dgliteracy/Pages/index.aspx
- Wallace Foundation http://www.wallacefoundation.org/knowledge-center/adult-literacy/Pages/default.aspx
- GrantsWatch http://www.grantwatch.com/cat/22/literacy+grants.html
- Adult Educator Training Options
- ProLiteracy Education Network
- LINCS http://lincs.ed.gov/professional-development-
- Basics of Adult Education OVAE (Office of Vocational and Adult Education)
- University of Tennessee Knoxville Center for Literacy, Education & Employment Print Resources http://clee.utk.edu/resources/publications/literacy-publications/
- NCSALL: National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy Print and Electronic Materials http://www.ncsall.net/index.php@id=15.html
- SAMS: Student Attributes for Math Success Specific Math Strategies
- ProLiteracy Education Network
- Shared in Chat:
16 July 2015
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
11 August 2016
24 August 2016
20 September 2016