Broadband Adoption Toolkit
A webinar with the creators of the Broadband Adoption Toolkit discussing how to implement strategies for building digitally inclusive communities.
This event has passed.
Increasing access and use of information technologies is essential for communities and individuals. Libraries, local government, community-based organizations and businesses are creating a variety of solutions. Building a digitally inclusive community requires multiple strategies, collaborations and creativity. Some digital inclusion strategies are referred to as “broadband adoption” which includes technology training, broadband awareness, low cost internet service and low cost home computers. In May, 2013, NTIA released the Broadband Adoption Toolkit (pdf), a best practices compilation encouraging use of broadband Internet in a confident and effective way to achieve personal and work goals and to participate in civic life. Join us for a conversation with the creators of the Broadband Adoption Toolkit to discuss what they learned and how the broadband adoption pieces fit together.
- Laura Breeden, Team Leader, BTOP Program at the U.S. Department of Commerce, NTIA
- John Horrigan, Vice President and Director, Media Technology Institute at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
- Laura Marlane, Director, Providence Community Library
- Lindsey Keck, Program Manager, Office of Innovation & Technology, City of Philadelphia
- Ann Blasberg, Technology Manager, Free Library of Philadelphia
- Angela Siefer, Digital Inclusion Program Manager at OCLC
- On WebJunction, Digital Inclusion and Building Digital Communities: Pilot
- IMLS: Building Digital Communities Framework
- Broadband Adoption Toolkit (pdf)
- On Updating the Toolkit - NTIA intends to continue to promote it, collect resources via digitalliteracy.gov, and listen to suggestions via email@example.com
- Two additional recent webinars on Broadband Adoption Toolkit:
- NTIA's Broadband USA
- State Broadband Initiative
- The National Broadband Plan
- National Broadband Map
- Connecting America's Communities
- NTIA Digital Nation Reports
- National League of Cities
- NTEN (Nonprofit Technology Network) Community
- UK Online Centres
- Discount broadband options (list is not intended to be exhaustive)
- Pew Internet Research
- FCC Reports
- KEYSPOT Finder
- Providence Community Library case study
- More on Broadband Rhode Island in recent WebJunction webinar
- Career Cruising
- Toolkit Links for Intentionally Innovative Communities
- Communities Connect Network
- Knight Foundation Resources: Community Information Toolkit
- Access Humbolt and Generation Zero Divide
Broadband Terminology Reference:
SBA – Sustainable Broadband Adoption. A BTOP grant program within NTIA.
PCC – Public Computing Centers. A BTOP grant program within NTIA.
BTOP – Broadband Technology Opportunities Program. Via NTIA, distributing $4.7 billion to support the deployment of broadband infrastructure, enhance and expand public computer centers (PCC), encourage sustainable adoption of broadband service (SBA), and develop and maintain a nationwide public map of broadband service capability and availability.
NTIA – National Telecommunications and Information Administration. Located within the U.S. Department of Commerce. Mission - NTIA is the Executive Branch agency that is principally responsible for advising the President on telecommunications and information policy issues. NTIA’s programs and policymaking focus largely on expanding broadband Internet access and adoption in America, expanding the use of spectrum by all users, and ensuring that the Internet remains an engine for continued innovation and economic growth.
Mobile Hotspot or Hotspot Device - Like USB modems from wireless carriers, mobile hotspots typically use mobile broadband service from cellular providers for 3G or 4G Internet access. Unlike mobile USB sticks, though, mobile hotspots allow multiple devices to connect at the same time.
22 May 2013
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
14 December 2017
19 December 2017
10 January 2018
30 January 2018