Bridging the Digital Divide with Mobile Services
Archive and related resources for a webinar presented on July 25 by Andromeda Yelton exploring the potential for bridging the digital divide through expanded mobile library services.
This event has passed.
The exploding popularity of smartphones and other mobile devices provides a unique opportunity for libraries to help bridge the digital divide. These devices are often discussed in the context of affluent populations and academic libraries, yet the demographics of mobile internet users are much more diverse than this, and the potential for mobile library services is correspondingly broad. Join us for this webinar brought to you in collaboration with ALA TechSource, and presented by Andromeda Yelton, author of the January issue of Library Technology Reports on the topic of Bridging the Digital Divide with Mobile Services.
We’ll talk about:
- the demographics of mobile internet users, and why this matters to libraries' mission
- real-life examples of online library services aimed at diverse populations
- mobile friendly steps you can take even with limited time, budget, or expertise.
Presented by: Andromeda Yelton, andromedayelton.com
Start time: 2:00 Eastern / 11:00 Pacific
Archive viewing options:
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- Read webinar recap
- Resources on Andromeda's site for this event
- On WebJunction: Digital Inclusion and Mobile Devices for resources and webinars on tech petting zoos, device circulation policies, etc.
- ALA TechSource and Bridging the Digital Divide with Mobile Services by Andromeda Yelton (Sample Chapter Attached, courtesy of ALA TechSource)
- NeilsenWire report on Smartphone Penetration
- Pew Internet Reports:
- SkokieNet New Immigrant Portal
- Get Help Florida and webinar archive, Re-tooling Frontline Staff with E-government Resources
- Library Anywhere
- Eastern Kentucky University library catalog
- Skokie Public Library text notification service
- Text “send utcref [question]” to 246246 for Lupton Library’s text reference; details in Jason Griffey’s Mobile Technology and Libraries
- Buffy Hamilton’s experiences with lending Kindles and Nooks
- “The job of the 20th century library was to bring the world to the community. The job of the 21st century library is to take the community to the world.” – Jamie Larue, Director, Douglas County Libraries
- Need mentors, collaborators, or learning opportunities for software projects? Join the ALA Library Code Year interest group (which I co-chair). All levels welcome.
- L. E. Phllips Memorial public library in Eau Clare that circ iPads http://www.ecpubliclibrary.info/services/library-services/ipads.html
- Library grants info (see also WebJunction Budgets & Funding section)
- Tips for Making Your First Mobile App a Success, ACRL TechConnect, 7/25/12
25 July 2012
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Yelton Webinar Chat
Yelton Webinar Slides
18 September 2014
24 September 2014
21 October 2014