Small but Powerful Forum at ALA Midwinter 2012
Rural library leaders gathered for a conversation about advocacy, leadership and the newly revised "Small But Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library," at a special forum during the 2012 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Sponsored by the ALA Committee on Rural, Native and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds, the ALA Committee on Literacy, the ALA Committee on Library Advocacy and the Association for Rural and Small Libraries, the Small but Powerful Forum for Winning Big Support for your Rural Library took place from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 22 in room A308 of the Dallas Convention Center.
Featured presenters included Jennifer Peterson, chair, ALA Rural, Native and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds Committee, WebJunction community manager; Tina Hager, library director, Little Elm Public Library (Texas); and Dr. Robert S. Martin, professor emeritus in the School of Library and Information Studies at Texas Woman’s University and PEARL (Promoting & Enhancing the Advancement of Rural Libraries) team member.
- Small But Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library
- Association for Rural and Small Libraries
- Digital Picture Frames as Informational Signs from the Swiss Army Librarian
- How Libraries Stack Up 2010 from OCLC (with ppt templates)
- Get Your Geek On: Improve Local Funding Outlook through Community Advocacy - webinar archive
- Community Partner Collaboration Guide
- Mancos Public Library: website, Facebook page, Victoria Petersen's blog Emerging Librarian
- Free fundraising tool, Crowdrise
- Somers Library
- Library Calculator Information:Swiss Army Librarian overview (including libraries using a calculator) and code. See how Centerville Library allows for patrons to share how much they save.
- Hartford County Public Library, Communities Thrive @ Your Library
- U.S. IMPACT Study and Public Library Toolbox
- Public Library Funding & Technology Access Study
- IMLS Public Libraries in the United States Survey Fiscal Year 2009, released October 2011 and Business Insider slide-show using data from report
- ALA wiki, Value of Libraries
- Leadership Resources collected by Jennifer
UNT PEARL Project
Attached: Rural Forum Menu and brainstorm collection answering “What are the core qualities of rural leadership?”
This work is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License